Thursday, January 14, 2010

First Puppy Training Class




Last night was our first puppy training class. George did very well. Since I've been on furlough these last couple weeks, I've had the chance to work on things with him like sit and stay. Since the class started at 7pm, which is George's "I'm so hyper" time of the day, it was a little hard to get him to sit still for very long. But with a treat in your hand, he'll do pretty much anything. The trainer said that some dogs aren't driven by food...not the case with George.

I'm very happy with how George interacts with other people. When he's excited with us, he tends to want to nip our hands, but with other people he licks them. The trainer said to us "He's not a biter at all. That's really good." Alan and I just looked at each other and laughed. But we have been working on the nipping very hard. So I guess it's starting to pay off. He doesn't try to bite/nip us all the time. It's just when he gets really excited and he's looking for anything to put in his mouth. We try to just keep a toy with us and quickly replace our hand with a toy and when he chews the toy we quickly praise him. It's obvious that George wants to please us.

He has his next vet check-up on Saturday. I'm excited to see how much more he weighs. He was 12.5 lbs when I took him over 2 weeks ago and I can tell he's obviously getting bigger every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment